Chromium – The iTunes 7 look for ALL of OSX

In the spirit of Iridium, let me take a moment to introduce it’s darker sibling: Chromium.

I have been working on a theme that applies the iTunes 7 look to all of MacOS X. I have taken interface elements from iTunes, Iridium, and from many themes built by other people in order to make this work. Because a large chunk of the art is not mine, Chromium will not be posted to places like MacUpdate. For access to my private theme archive, sign up to be a member of this site. No support is offered for this download. This link is left here for historical/archival purposes. Use it at your own risk. 1. The version mentioned in this post 2. One that I am currently working on

31 Replies to “Chromium – The iTunes 7 look for ALL of OSX”

1. Looks great….would love to try this but you have registration turned off on your wp site so no way to signup to access your private theme archive.
    Casey at 11/08/2006 11:38:37 pm

2. Hi Steven, that looks really nice! I want to sign up to be a member of this site. How can I do that ??? Greetings from Germany Wolfgang Scherf
    Wolfgang Scherf at 11/10/2006 08:31:11 am

3. Wow I love the idea of this theme… I have been looking for something like this for a while, something as good as itunes7, and I think you got it. Can I sign up please. This will work on the intelmac, correct?
    Chris at 11/15/2006 03:12:49 am

4. Very nice, I have been looking for something like this. I really appreciate all you have done on these themes, keep up the good work. Please add me to the signup.
    Thomas Brawley at 11/15/2006 06:13:55 pm

5. While using this theme I noted these two (minor) cosmetic glitches: when a window has not the focus and is in the background its scroll bars ends are slightly darker, see http://ww2.unime.it/flr/uploaded_images/scrollbar.png – the background of some menu bar icons remains white, see http://ww2.unime.it/flr/uploaded_images/menubar.png but I understand that this last issue depends more on the icons design than on the Chromium theme.
    Fabrizio at 11/21/2006 07:32:54 pm

6. Hi Fabrizio! Great eyes man! I can’t believe that I missed that scrollbar, and you’re right, I can’t really fix that menu issue easily. I’ll see what I can do.
    Steven at 11/21/2006 09:55:34 pm

7. I have now fixed the menu bar issue editing the icons of the Airport and Bluetooth menu extras. The modified icons are available here http://ww2.unime.it/flr/uploaded_images/Airport_menu.zip http://ww2.unime.it/flr/uploaded_images/Bluetooth_menu.zip just unzip the files and copy the icons with root privileges (sudo cp …) respectively in /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/Airport.menu/Contents/Resources/ and /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/Bluetooth.menu/Contents/Resources/ Please note that the Airport menu icons are also colored depending on the signal strength: red for low level, orange for medium level and green for high level. Steven, you may include these icons in the next release of your Chromium theme…
    Fabrizio at 11/22/2006 08:55:24 am

8. Again, great work Fabrizio! Would you like to have access to the source files so you can build Chromium updates directly? I’m a bit busy now with lesson plans and such. So, I don’t get to update the themes as often as I would like. Let me know if you are interested.
    Steven at 11/22/2006 11:23:37 am

9. I am not a theme expert and neither a graphic designer, but if you give me access to the Chromium source I can try to fix the scrollbar issue and include some colored and “transparency fixed” menu bar icons: along the Airport, Bluetooth and Battery menu icons, which came from the Chris Lawson’s “Colour Menus”, I have also colored the VPN and Displays menu bar icons.
    Fabrizio at 11/23/2006 04:58:52 pm

10. Fixing the transparencies is great, but I wonder if colorizing the icons makes sense. It doesn’t feel like something apple would do for 10.5 and what I am trying to do is make my best guess at the 10.5 interface.
    Steven at 11/23/2006 07:17:33 pm

11. I’d love to try out these themes on my intel mac – Iridium was excellent. How do I become a member?
    Andrew at 11/25/2006 11:43:25 am

12. Well, I can even fix only the icons transparency (this should be done for the Bluetooth and Airport menubar icons) and then the scrollbar issue… or, if you want, I can just send you the fixed icons.
    Fabrizio at 11/30/2006 03:53:28 pm

13. Looks great – if I could sign up, that would make my Mac happy again. It likes a consistent UI, and I quite like new iTunes.
    Steve Tobin at 11/30/2006 07:49:08 pm

14. Hi Steven, This looks fantastic – I think Apple really got it right with iTunes 7. Nice work – would you be kind enough to sign me into your WP so I can give this a try? Thanks, James
    James at 12/04/2006 01:03:29 pm

15. Could I get a WP login by chance to be able to download and try this theme? Or, is there another download location somewhere?
    NWSlacker at 12/10/2006 10:52:56 pm

16. I’d like to try bpth this theme and Tigger – they look great. Can I get signed in, please?
    tesseract at 12/12/2006 11:51:07 am

17. Sorry Fabrizio. I don’t think that I will be updating Chromium. Too many issues with dark themes to do it for free. So, this file is provided AS IS. And, anyone who would like to mess with it is free to do so.
    Steven at 12/18/2006 05:44:08 am

18. Nice work Fabrizio! I wish we could post this theme publicly, but we can’t. I began it using bits of iMetal and 7 and images from iTunes and then threw in my own tweaks. That was why I decided to post it in a protected form here. It would be impossible to get permission to distribute it, and it would step on too many toes. And, I am beginning to suspect that though iTunes 7 does “point” at a Leopard theme, what we see in iTunes is NOT the new 10.5 look. I am working on a mock up and I will post my guess as soon as I can get the images on the screen to match what I see in my imagination.
    Steven at 12/21/2006 05:37:04 am

19. Interesting theme. The gradient pop-up menus and buttons got old real fast, so I tried to remove it. NOTE I was NOT able to remove the theme. I ran the “restore default” application, but on a reboot all my Finder windows and the Spotlight icon stayed Chromium. Not good. I finally installed and uninstalled “Uno” to get my UI back to Tiger defaults.
    handycam at 12/29/2006 11:20:55 am